Stuart Turner's Publications
Papers and Letters
- Jacobson RR, Turner SW, Baldy RE and Lishman WA. (1985). Densitometric
Analysis of Scans: Important Sources of Artefact. Psychological Medicine.
- Turner SW, Toone BK and Brett-Jones JR. (1986). Computerized Tomographic
Scan Changes in Early Schizophrenia. Psychological Medicine. 16, 219-225.
- Turner SW. (1986). A male anorectic presenting with symptomatic hypoglycaemia.
Clinical Notes On-Line. 1, 112.
- Baldy RE, Brindley GS, Ewusi-Mensah I, Jacobson RR, Reveley MA, Turner SW and
Lishman WA. (1986). A Fully Automated Computer-Assisted Method of CT Scan
Analysis. Neuroradiology. 28, 109-117.
- Coleman R and Turner SW (1988) Do psychiatric registrars take a proper
drinking history? British Medical Journal. 296, 931. (letter presenting
- Turner SW and Toone BK (1988) The VBR in schizophrenia research: a methodological
problem. Schizophrenia Research. 1, 163-164.
- Turner SW, Daniels L and Greer HS. (1989) Wernicke's encephalopathy in an
18-year-old woman. British Journal of Psychiatry. 154, 261-262.
- Turner SW (1989) Working with survivors: the Medical Foundation for the Care of
Victims of Torture. Psychiatric Bulletin. 13, 173-176.
- Turner SW, Thompson J and Rosser R. (1989). The Kings Cross Fire: planning a
"phase two" psychosocial response. Disaster Management. 2, 31-37.
- Turner SW, Landau T, Hinshelwood J and Bamber H. (1989) Torture of Turkish
Kurds. (letter presenting original data). Lancet, i, 1319 and subsequent
- Turner SW and Bamber H (1989) The Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims
of Torture. (In) Report on the International Workshop on Training of Practitioners
working with Refugees. Oxford: Refugee Studies Programme.
- Turner SW and Nateghi A (1990) Surviving torture in the 1980s. Holistic
Health, 25, 8-9.
- Fisher NR, Turner SW and Pugh CR. (1990) Homeless and Mentally Ill. The
Lancet. (letter presenting original data). 335, (April 14).
- Harvey I, Williams M, Toone BK, Lewis SW, Turner SW and McGuffin P. (1990)
The ventricular brain ratio (VBR) in functional psychoses: the relationship of
lateral ventricular and total intracranial area. Psychological Medicine. 20,
- Turner SW and Van Velsen C (1990) Victims of Torture. British Journal of
Hospital Medicine. 44(5), 345-346.
- Turner SW and Gorst-Unsworth C. (1990) Psychological sequelae of torture - a
descriptive model. British Journal of Psychiatry. 157, 475-480.
- Easton J and Turner SW. (1991) Detention of British Citizens as Hostages in
the Gulf - Health, Psychological and Family Consequences. British Medical Journal.
- Turner SW (1991). Health professionals and organised violence. Invited
Article in British Journal of Psychiatry (Supplement) Review of Books. 2, 7-9.
- Turner SW (1991). Post-traumatic stress disorder. Hospital Update. 17, 644-649
- Fisher NR, Turner SW and Pugh R (1991) Working for patients: will it work
in practice? The Psychiatric Bulletin. 15, 73-75.
- O'Sullivan G, Harvey I, Bass C, Sheehy M, Toone B and Turner S. (1992)
Psychophysiological investigations of patients with unilateral symptoms in the
hyperventilation syndrome. British Journal of Psychiatry. 160, 664-667.
- Ramsay, R, Gorst-Unsworth,C and Turner, SW. (1993). Psychiatric Morbidity
in Survivors of State Organised Violence including Torture: A Retrospective Series.
British Journal of Psychiatry. 162, 55-59.
- Gorst-Unsworth C, Van Velsen C. and Turner SW. (1993) Prospective study of
Survivors of Torture and Organised Violence - Examining the Existential Dilemma.
Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 181, 263-264.
- Turner SW and Haskins C. (1993) London Capitation Weighting: social deprivation,
homelessness and mental health. (Keynote data paper). Psychiatric Bulletin.
- Summerfield D, Jones L, Gorst-Unsworth C, Hobbs M, Turner S, Harris-Hendricks J
and Black D (1993) Psychiatrists condemn Serb leader. British Medical Journal
(letter). 307, 329.
- Turner SW (1993). The limitations of the anxiety concept in work with survivors
of repressive violence. Torture. Supplementum 1, 19-21.
- Ramsay, R and Turner SW. (1993) Refugees' health needs: GP perspectives.
British Journal of General Practice. 43, 480-1. (letter presenting original data).
- Fisher, N, Turner, SW, Pugh, R and Taylor, C. (1994) Estimating the numbers of
homeless and homeless mentally ill people in North-east Westminster by using
capture-recapture analysis. British Medical Journal. 308, 27-30.
- McIvor, R., and Turner, S.W. (1995) Assessment and treatment approaches for
survivors of torture. British Journal of Psychiatry. 166, 705-711.
- Turner SW, Thompson J, Rosser RM. (1995) The Kings Cross Fire: Psychological
Reactions. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 8, 419-427.
- Thompson, J, Charlton, P.F.C., Kerry, R., Lee, D. and Turner, S.W.
(1995) An open trial of exposure therapy based on deconditioning for post-traumatic
stress disorder. British Journal of Clinical Psychology. 34, 407-416.
- McIvor R.J., Turner S.W. (1995) Drug Treatment in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
British Journal of Hospital Medicine. 53, 501-506.
- Katz RJ, Lott MH, Arbus P, Crocq L, Herlobsen P, Lingjaerde O, Lopez G,
Loughrey GC, MacFarlane DJ, McIvor R, Mehlum L, Nugent D, Turner SW, Weisaeth L,
Yule W. (1995) Pharmacotherapy of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with a Novel
Psychotropic Brofaromine in PTSD. Anxiety. 1, 169-174.
- Peuskens, J (1995), on behalf of the Risperidone Study Group (of which I
was a member). Risperidone in the treatment of patients with chronic schizophrenia:
a multi-national, multi-centre, double-blind, parallel-group study versus
Haloperidol. British Journal of Psychiatry. 166, 712-726.
- Smidt L.A., Andrews S., Turner S.W. (1995) Bringing Clinicians into Management.
British Journal of Health Care Management. Vol. 1, No. 1, 24-26.
- Turner SW (1995) Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Journal of the Medical
Defence Union. Vol 11, No. 2, 32-33.
- Turner SW, Smidt L (1995) The Role of the Medical Director. British Journal
of Healthcare Management. Vol. 1, No. 3, 144-146.
- Van Velsen, C., Gorst-Unsworth, C. and Turner SW. (1996) Working with
Survivors of Torture - Demography and Diagnosis. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 9,
- Thompson, J, Turner, SW, Rosser RM. (1997) A multiple regression analysis of
screening questionnaires in post traumatic stress disorder. European Journal of
- Turner SW (1997) Treatment issues in Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (roundtable
conference contribution). Behavioural Cognitive Bulletin. Vol 1, No 5, 7-11.
- Turner, S.W. (1999) The Place of Pharmacotherapy in PTSD. The Lancet.
- Turner SW (1999) Patients who experience traumatic stress. The Practitioner.
Vol 243, no 1601, 608-612.
- Turner, S.W. (2000) Psychiatric help for Survivors of Torture. Advances in
Psychiatric Treatment. 6, 295-303.
- Scragg. P., Grey, N., Lee, D., Young, K. and Turner, S.W. (2001) A Brief Report
on the Penn Inventory for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Journal of Traumatic Stress.
- Lee, D.A., Scragg, P. and Turner, S.W. (2001) The role of shame and guilt in
traumatic events: a clinical model of shame-based and guilt-based PTSD. British
Journal of Medical Psychology. 74, 451-466.
- Herlihy, J., Scragg, P. and Turner, S.W. (2002) Discrepancies in
Autobiographical Memories. British Medical Journal.
- Brewin, C.R., Rose, S., Andrews, B., Green, J., Tata, P., McEvedy, C.,
Turner, S.W. and Foa E. (2002). A Brief Screening Instrument for Posttraumatic
Stress Disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry. 181, 158-162.
- Turner, S.W., Bowie, C., Dunn, G., Shapo, L. and Yule, W. (2003)
Mental Health of Kosovan Albanian Refugees in the UK. British Journal of
- Schnurr, P.P., Kaloupek, D.G., Turner, S.W., Bloom, S. and Kaltman, S.
(2004) Another Grand Challenge: Mental Health (Letter). Science 303, 168-169.
- Turner, S.W. (2004) Emotional Reactions to Torture and Organized State Violence.
PTSD Research Quarterly. Spring 2004.
- Turner, S.W. and ISTSS Executive (2005) ISTSS makes official statement on torture
in the modern world. Traumatic Stress Points. Summer 2005.
- Herlihy, J. and Turner, S. (2006) Should discrepant accounts given by asylum
seekers be taken as proof of deceit? Torture. 16, 81-92.
- Herlihy, J. & Turner, S. (2006). Re. Inconsistency in reporting potentially
traumatic events. British Journal of Psychiatry. BJP Online 19th July, 2006.
- Bisson, J.I, Ehlers, A., Matthews, R., Pilling, S., Richards, D.,
Turner, S. (2007) Psychological treatments for chronic post-traumatic stress
disorder: Systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of
Psychiatry. 2007 Feb;190:97-104.
- Herlihy J. and Turner, S. (2007) Editorial - Asylum claims: sharing our knowledge.
British Journal of Psychiatry, 191, 3-4.
- Turner S. W. (2007) Challenges in the Treatment of PTSD. Therapy Today. 18, 15-17
- Herlihy, J. and Turner, S.W. (2007). Memory and Seeking Asylum. European
Journal of Psychotherapy and Counselling. 9(3): 267 - 276
- Moradi, A., Herlihy, J., Yasseri, G., Shahraray, M., Turner, S. and
Dalgliesh, T. (2008). Specificity of episodic and semantic aspects of
autobiographical memory in relation to symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
(PTSD). Acta Psychologica. 127(3): 645-53
- Turner, S.W. and Herlihy, J. (2009). Working with refugees and asylum seekers.
Psychiatry. 8 (8): 322-324
- Herlihy, J and Turner, S.W. (2009). The Psychology of Seeking Protection.
International Journal of Refugee Law. 21(2):171-192
- Turner, S.W., Herlihy, J. and Schnyder, U. (2009) Selected Highlights of the
ISTSS 2008 Annual Meeting (Editorial as Guest Editors). Journal of Traumatic
Stress. 22(5): 349-350
- Ehlers, A., Bisson, J., Clark, D.M., Creamer, M., Pilling, S., Richards, D.,
Schnurr, P.P., Turner, S. and Yule, W. (2010) Do all psychological treatments
really work the same in posttraumatic stress disorder? Clinical Psychological
Review 30(2):269-76 (2010)
- Herlihy, J., Gleeson, K. and Turner, S. (2010) What Assumptions about
Human Behaviour Underlie Asylum Judgments? Int J Refugee Law (2010) 22(3): 351-366
Books and Dissertations
- Turner SW (1992) Therapeutic Approaches with Survivors of Torture. In
Intercultural Therapy (ed Kareem J and Littlewood R) Blackwell Scientific
Publications: Oxford, pp 163-174.
- Turner SW (1992) The contribution of clinical psychiatry. In A Textbook of
Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. (ed Brooking JI, Ritter SAH and Thomas BL)
Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, pp 197-211.
- Turner SW (1992) Surviving sexual assault and sexual torture. In Male
victims of sexual assault. (ed Mezey GC and King MB) Oxford University Press:
- Turner SW and Gorst-Unsworth C. (1993) Psychological sequelae of torture.
In The International Handbook of Traumatic Stress. (ed Wilson and Raphael).
New York: Plenum. pp703-714.
- Turner SW and Hough A. (1993) Hyperventilation as a reaction to torture. In
The International Handbook of Traumatic Stress. (ed Wilson and Raphael). New York:
Plenum. pp 725-732.
- Turner SW, Thompson J and Rosser R. (1993) The London Kings Cross fire: a disaster
in a railway facility. In The International Handbook of Traumatic Stress. (ed Wilson
and Raphael). New York: Plenum. pp 451-460.
- Turner SW and Fisher N. (1993) Psychiatry and the Purchaser-Provider Divide.
in Tilley (ed) Managing the internal Market. Paul Chapman Publishing: London.
- Turner SW (1995). Torture, Refuge and Trust. Mistrusting Refugees. (ed.
EV Daniel and JC Knudsen). California: California. pp 56-72.
- Turner S.W. (1996) Common Sense and Novel treatments. for McFarlane, Van Der
Kolk and Weisaeth (eds).
- McIvor, R., and Turner, S.W. (1997) Biological Models. for Black, Newman,
Mezey, Harris Hendricks (eds). PTSD a developmental approach.
- Lee, D. and Turner, S.W. (1997) Cognitive-Behavioural Models. for Black,
Newman, Mezey, Harris Hendricks (eds). PTSD a developmental approach.
- Turner S.W. and McIvor, R. (1997) Torture. for Black, Newman, Mezey, Harris
Hendricks (eds). PTSD a developmental approach.
- Turner SW. (1998) Stress and Trauma. for Tantam D (ed) Clinical
Topics in Psychotherapy. Gaskell: London.
- Turner SW (Second Edition) Surviving sexual assault and sexual torture.
In Male victims of sexual assault. (ed Mezey GC and King MB) Oxford University
Press: Oxford, pp75-86.
- Turner, S.W., Silove, D. and Yuksel, S. (2003) Aiding Survivors of Mass
Violence and Torture In Trauma Interventions in War and Peace
(eds Green, Friedman, de Jong, Solomon, Keane, Fairbank, Donelan and Frey-Wouters,
a project led by ISTSS and UN). Kluwer: New York.
- Herlihy, J., Ferstman, C. and Turner, S.W. (2004) Legal issues in work with
Asylum Seekers. In Broken Spirits (ed Wilson, J. and Drozdek, B.)
Brunner-Routledge: New York.
- Turner S.W. (2007) Traumatic Memory. In Resilience,
Suffering and Creativity : The Work of the Refugee Therapy
Centre (ed Alayarian, A) Karnac: London
- Turner SW (1987). An Investigation of Early Poor Prognosis Schizophrenia
using Computerised Tomography. MD Thesis: Cambridge University.
- Turner S.W. and Lee D (1998). Measures in Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: a
Practitioners Guide. NFER-Nelson.